Steak

Grilled Steak with Garlic-Herb Butter
Step 1: Buy any cut of meat. The fattier (more marbled) the meat is, the faster the salt works its way through the meat.
Step 2: About 1/2 to 1-1/2 teaspoons of sea salt per side. Let it sit at room temperature during salting.

Meat salting time
1″ thick cut - smallish girly-girl steak, about 4″ across
1/2 tsp each side...30 min
1.25″ -1.5″ (NY Strip, Ribeye) standard thicker steaks can sit longer to let the salt do its work throughout meat
3/4 - 1 tsp each side...45 min
1.25″ - 1.5″ manly-man T-Bone, Porterhouse - more surface area means you use more salt
1-2 tsp each side...45 min
Step 3: Rinse all salt off, pat very dry. Season with fresh ground pepper (no more salt is needed). Grill to your liking. Top with Garlic-Herb Butter immediately.

Garlic-Herb Butter
1 stick of unsalted butter, softened (not melted, just softened)
handful of fresh herbs (basil, parsley, etc.)
1-3 cloves of garlic, minced
Combine all ingredients. Lay out a sheet of plastic wrap.
Spoon butter mixture on wrap. Roll and shape butter into a log.
Refrigerate to firm up for 30 minutes.
Slice into 1/4” disks to top the grilled steaks.
Also great for corn on the cob.

I went over board on the salt and let it sit on the meat way too long, didn't follow the directions very well! And then I forgot to make the garlic herb butter, so I have to try this again. However, I didn't find that the salt tenderized the meat or enhanced the flavor. The cheap cut was still the cheap cut. Next time I will try a better cut of steak, BUT only when it's on SALE!

No comments: