Awesome Pot Roast

Awesome Pot Roast
½+ cup mustard (spicy or dijon works, too!)
3 cups chicken broth (we use sodium free bouillon granules)
1/2 tsp black pepper
½+ apple cider vinegar
½+ brown sugar
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp butter
Mix the above well and pour into bottom of crock pot.
Add 2 onions, sliced and ½ to 1 whole garlic head (peel cloves and leave whole). Start the crock pot heating on high with the above mixture beginning to cook. Meanwhile brown a 5+ lbs roast (cut in half lengthwise for more browning surface) on the stove. Then place roast on top of the mixture in crock pot, cook on high for 1 hour and then lower heat and cook for another 4 to 6+ hours, then add about 12 sliced mushrooms on top and cook for another hour on low.
- via Jim and Deanne's kitchen (when we cook together we can come up with some tasty entrees)

(Alas, my home made wheat rolls that day turned out hard as rocks, but only on the outside and my stuffing/dressing is usually pretty lousy, BUT when I put the soft part of the rolls in a dish, added the left over roast broth with plenty of the onions, garlic, and mushrooms....ta da! Never even had a desire to taste any meat as I had the best tasting faux stuffing/dressing which was hearty and filling without the meat.)
These days I have a scrumptious whole wheat roll recipe - see the post labeled rolls. Each time I make them I'm pretty confident that I will have soft edible rolls for dinner!

No comments: