Finding ideas like this make living life and living in the kitchen (seems like we cook all day long!) a total joy. For the last couple of days I've been checking out different garlic presses to purchase, because I have the garlic to plant in the garden tomorrow!Aha.....now I don't have to spend a penny. Nope! I have lots of pretty rocks like this in my yard to choose from for my NEW garlic press. Matter of fact one such rock was sitting on the shelf in the kitchen for years until a month or so ago I cleaned out all the clutter and threw that rock out the back door. Seems like I'll be searching again for the perfect rock that used to be at my fingertips....but pulling weeds way down in the dirt brings me nose to nose with the rocks. After a couple hours of weed pulling there should be at least one acceptable new "garlic press rock" to be found! Check out the link below for more ideas and give a big hurrah to our new friend Janet for a superb idea, especially for those of us who are NOT fond of knives (problem solved....use a rock!) Enjoy and then go find a great rock to show off as your new kitchen tool, although you may be told you have rocks where your brain should be located!
Cool Kitchen Hack: Crush Garlic With A Rock
Here’s a kitchen tip sent in by Janet to www.tipnut.com. ....."A tip for crushing garlic that once you try it, you’ll never go back to the method you are now using (I guarantee it). It was taught to me by my mother who was from Hungary and I always assumed this was a common thing there, but the few Hungarian friends I have never knew about this.
Find a rock that is smooth and is about the size of your palm. Look for one that is comfortable and not too heavy in the hand. When you first pick the rock, run it through the dishwasher a few times and it’s ready to use. If you don’t have a dishwasher just wash it in hot soapy water with a bit of bleach.
To crush garlic, hold the rock and smash it on a clove of garlic. Pull out the skin and there you have it, crushed garlic ready to cook with. Cleaning the rock is a dream, just throw it in the dishwasher utensils basket and it’s perfect to use for years and years. I keep my ro
ck in the utensils drawer in the space between the tray and the back of the drawer, I call it my kitchen rock.
When I demonstrated this to a friend of mine, she loved how easy it was to crush the garlic but she couldn’t get used to the idea of a rock coming in contact with her food. She tweaked things to suit her better by taking a square of wax paper or a cleaned cereal liner bag and folding that over the garlic before hitting it with the rock.
My advice is to choose a smooth rock instead of a jagged surface rock, it does the best job and the results are consistent." Janet
Here’s a kitchen tip sent in by Janet to www.tipnut.com. ....."A tip for crushing garlic that once you try it, you’ll never go back to the method you are now using (I guarantee it). It was taught to me by my mother who was from Hungary and I always assumed this was a common thing there, but the few Hungarian friends I have never knew about this.
Find a rock that is smooth and is about the size of your palm. Look for one that is comfortable and not too heavy in the hand. When you first pick the rock, run it through the dishwasher a few times and it’s ready to use. If you don’t have a dishwasher just wash it in hot soapy water with a bit of bleach.
To crush garlic, hold the rock and smash it on a clove of garlic. Pull out the skin and there you have it, crushed garlic ready to cook with. Cleaning the rock is a dream, just throw it in the dishwasher utensils basket and it’s perfect to use for years and years. I keep my ro
ck in the utensils drawer in the space between the tray and the back of the drawer, I call it my kitchen rock.When I demonstrated this to a friend of mine, she loved how easy it was to crush the garlic but she couldn’t get used to the idea of a rock coming in contact with her food. She tweaked things to suit her better by taking a square of wax paper or a cleaned cereal liner bag and folding that over the garlic before hitting it with the rock.
My advice is to choose a smooth rock instead of a jagged surface rock, it does the best job and the results are consistent." Janet
No comments:
Post a Comment