Laundry Soap

Today I found a new recipe for homemade laundry detergent today that I'm going to try...now that it is warmer it seems the "boys" clothes are a little bit stinkier than normal (I may have just forgotten since last summer and after all the "boys" are another year older and older means stinkier!)
This one has more washing soda so I just need to add more to my already prepared batch to see if there is a difference. If you check out the link below there are comments from some gals who don't care for the homemade and prefer to pay a bit more for regular laundry detergent. (photo by:meanest Indian) Everything depends on the needs of your family. For us the simple ingredients have been a most helpful with the allergies our family members have....very sensitive skin, prone to dryness and rash. I can tolerate the little bit of stinky with my "boys" (that includes the manboy husband) to know that I'm taking care of their bodies, with less chemicals and soap sensitivity!
A couple of comments mentioned the yellow sweat stain being a problem which I will need to check, but I do use spot stain removers and 1/2 cup vinegar in my fabric softener dispenser with each load. Perhaps that has eliminated the problem...I don't know, but this homemade detergent works for us, works for our skin, works for our scent (even unscented has a scent) sensitive noses, works for our budget, and the ingredients are always on hand.
The vinegar I add into each load has eliminated many sour odors (sweat and sour towels that never dry out) plus eliminated the need for dryer sheets. I thank Diana (who I don't know, but sure do appreciate) for sharing her tried and true recipe. She has made my life sooo much easier. By the way....if you think all these homemade things take tooooooo much time to prepare I have found it to be otherwise. First of all, everything I prepare is usually doubled or tripled in batches and stored as needed. Secondly, the amount of time I save not having to go shopping is phenonmenal. I can prepare the homemade laundry detergent in about the same amount of time I spend just driving to the store. The ingredients I purchase in bulk when I am grocery shopping (which if I find good deals are purchased online with free postage, but that's another post!) so again there was no extra time spent shopping.
Yep, I a happy camper (or non-shopper as the case may be!)


photo by: meanest Indian
From: Diana
2 bars fels napa soap grated really fine
3 cups washing soda
3 cups borax
2 cups baking soda(makes everything smell really clean)
Mix together really well and put in air tight container.
Add 2 Tablespoons for light soil
Add 3 Tablespoons
or 1/4 cup for a heavy soiled load
Works great in those new washing machines as it produces no suds ….Cleans great without the mess and time of mixing a liquid. OH and it’s great in COLD water too just fill machine add soap and let it mix before putting in the clothes.

No comments: