Toasted Sesame Seeds

Too sick to go buy the garlic right now, so I'm experimenting with toasted sesame seeds and Chinese noodles (not for the same recipe.) I bought large packages of Chinese noodles (like those in Top Ramen) at a local dollar store for.....$1.00 each! How much does stuff cost at the dollar store? These packages have six times the amount of noodles, but no seasoning packets. More expensive than Top Ramen, yes! But low, low, low sodium as I make my own desired seasoning! Low sodium equals healthy hearts. Am I am health nut? NO! But our out of pocket medical expenses over the three years has averaged out at about $13,000 per year! That is with excellent Health Insurance Coverage, 100% preventative and 80% otherwise. Do I want that to continue over the next three years...no stinkin' way (as my kids would say.)
Just reducing sodium, only sodium, was one impact on our overall health. Changing from white flour to 100% whole wheat, with lots of sourdough starter thrown into pancakes, etc, was the next step to less doctor visits (intestinal ailments) along with fewer prepackaged foods thus no preservatives. (My tummy and my aching joints are purring with pleasure instead of whining in agony these days!)
Then alas, no more soda (slipped up this week and had tons, but my body started whining instead of purring) to reduce the sugar intake (ironically desserts are not requested in our house, we like a good Oreo cookie or a candy bar now and then, maybe a homemade chocolate chip cookie, but no other desserts - then why are we overweight? It's the size of the servings that makes a difference. I love to serve on little plates hoping everyone will take little portions. Why do men like to see how high they can pile the plate before the food starts to slide off....and then they throw it back on top and try to add more? Not my husband, of course, but some men!)
Those are the only changes I have made over the last three years...no sodium the first year, made from scratch foods the second year after searching high and low for the lowest sodium food for a year, and 100% wheat and no sodas in the diet this past year. That doesn't make me a health food nut, does it?
On a side note we have fruit and citrus trees, plus grow our own veggies, melons, potatoes, etc. Some years the garden is big, some years are more difficult and the garden is neglected. But feeding the children from the backyard is my joy (sometimes I am guilty of saying, "I'm too tired to cook, go out in the yard and find something to eat.") Here in sunny California there is always something growing in the yard, but if we have a temporary shortage they could eat grubs, if they would, but they won't. Have I posted about grubs yet? Check the search blog field for grubs to see that entry.
Back where I started, toasting sesame seeds....I'm making French Bread rolls which reminded me to toast some sesame seeds to have on hand when I'm making French Bread loafs which reminded me to remind my friends to proof their yeast before making a batch of bread.
All of my recipes have a least three cups of water in them so I start with the water.
3 cups of warm water
sprinkle 2 tbls of yeast over the water
sprinkle 2 tbls of white sugar over the yeast
Let sit until bubbly, from 10 minutes to sometimes a bit longer.
If you have bubbles, great! Add the rest of your ingredients and mix as instructed.
If no bubbles, just blaaaauuu, throw away and start over. Sometimes your water is too hot and killed the yeast so try at least one more time before throwing away all your yeast. Yeast keeps best in the freezer for longer periods of time.
So I'm off to mix up the rolls as I can smell the yeast working away merrily in the bowl. That's sort of what reminds me that I'm making bread if I get sidetracked. The aroma of fermenting yeast fills the house rather quickly and meets me as I walk into the house. Then I say, "Oh, yeah...I was making bread!"
And what I sat down to find on the computer in the first place....
Toasted Sesame Seeds
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Pour the sesame seeds onto a rimmed baking sheet. Toast the seeds in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until they are a rich brown around the edges.
I buy my sesame seeds in bulk, generally online, for a fraction of the price. Sesame seeds give a store bought appearance along with great flavor to our culinary creations.

No comments: