Oh, how I love to try strange things and this will be a fun one. Fresh ginger is so yummy in recipes, but I didn't know how to store it, let alone grow it! Well, now I can grow some in a pot of sand PLUS have some in the freezer to grate when needed. My family just may get scared when the see a HUGE clay pot with some strange looking thing growing in it (that's if they sift through the sand.) Speaking of sifting through the sand I'll have to keep the cats out of it, aka kitty litter box. Maybe this would be better kept in a smaller pot in the kitchen window:)
Fill a small clay pot with clean white sand or sandy potting soil. Bury fresh ginger root in the sand. Keeps (and grows) for months. Keep slightly moist/dry.
Place a whole, fresh ginger root (clean well) in a ziploc freezer bag and freeze. When you need some, just grate the amount needed (while still frozen).
Wash and peel ginger root, cut into chunks and place inside a sterile glass jar. Cover with dry sherry or white wine. Seal jar and store in refrigerator–use ginger as needed. The sherry will be ginger flavored and you can use this for cooking stir fries and other dishes.

No comments: