Seed Starting: Ghetto Greenhouse

Today is the day I make my "ghetto greenhouses!" I just love the name mrbrownthumb came up with for his idea.
However I went to Dollar Tree and bought their 3 liter bottle of soda to use for this project, after we enjoyed the root beer of course! Every year I just throw my seeds on the ground in the spring, some come up and some don't.
This year I'm hoping for a bumper crop of veggies with seeds sown in my new little greenhouses first, creating strong plants with a healthier start.
Seed Starting: Ghetto Greenhouse
Growing from seed can be rewarding and a cost effective way of expanding your garden. Depending on the plants it can often times be cheaper than buying a plant at your local garden center.
Here's what you need: an empty 2 liter plastic bottle, good potting soil, a handful of seeds and a tool for making holes.
Take your 2 liter bottle that you've cut in half and make several drainage holes in the bottom of the bottle.Fill the bottom with about 4-5 inches of soil. Read the seed preparation directions on your packet of seeds and sow them and water them in. You can water from the top or set the "pot" you just made in a saucer of water and allow it to absorb water.
Take the top half of the bottle and replace it.
Sow the seeds and set them outside for the winter and allow them to be exposed to the elements. When the weather starts to warm up water when necessary. The clear bottles make this easy and when the seedlings emerge plant them.
You can also adapt this method and make your Ghetto Greenhouse out of things you may have around your house. Just make sure you have drainage holes and some opening(s) for ventilation, a few holes in the top of your container will still trap enough humidity.

No comments: